This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
25


434 W. Spruce Street Adelbert “Del” H. Sweet House, 1914 Mead & Requa Spanish Revival The Frank Mead and Richard Requa partnership lasted from 1912 to 1920. This house was the firm’s most lavish & finely crafted residence. It was designed so that a series of massive retaining plaster walls would ascend “the sloping lost in fortress-like grandeur”, providing a “sense of drama and privacy” as one approached the grounds and residence through a large arched entrance.


26


3212 Brant Street Ralph & Nettie Hurlburt Spec House, 1923 Hurlburt & Tifal Spanish Revival


27


Spruce Street Suspension Bridge over Kate Sessions Canyon, 1912 Edwin Capps At 375 feet long, the bridge was built to connect Bankers Hill residents with the San Diego Electric Railway that had a substation at Spruce and 4th. This is the only suspension model pedestrian bridge in San Diego.


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20