This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Dr. Frederick & Lilla


Burnham House, 1906 Hebbard & Gill 3563 Seventh Avenue


Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and No. 41 on the City of San Diego’s Register of Historical Resources, the Dr. Frederick & Lilla Burnham Residence was designed in 1906 by the architectural firm of Hebbard & Gill for the sister and brother- in-law of George Marston. In March of that year, Marston had sold the Burnhams one-third of his ten-acre parcel, and in June the City issued a building permit for their $16,000 home. With Irving Gill as the lead architect, the emerging Midwestern Prairie Style influenced his design.


The landscape plan was created by Samuel Parsons Jr. and his renowned firm Parsons & Company, and implemented in 1907 and 1908. Parsons was superintendent of New York City parks in 1900, and had first come to San Diego at the invitation of George Marston in 1902 to draw up the early designs for Balboa Park, then known as City Park.


10


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32