This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Smoke and Mirrors


Then I ground the new valves into their seats. As the seats were so bad it would have taken forever to do it using the old fashioned wooden stick with rubber cups so instead I took advice from a few fellow LRUK forum members and used a cordless drill/screwdriver that has reverse.


As I finished grinding each valve I numbered it and put to one side. It is essential that the valves are re-fitted to their corresponding ground seat.


! !


The next job was to fit the new valve stem oil seals. The old ones had hardened and fallen apart so were not sealing which can lead to smoke on start up and idle.


This made light work of grinding the valves. I spent a few minutes on each valve with both coarse and fine grades of grinding paste running for maybe 10 seconds in one direction and then 10 seconds in the opposite direction. I slid the valve out and in again after each change of direction to redistribute the grinding paste. I thoroughly cleaned the seat and valve with paraffin after each session. I also made sure I avoided getting any grinding paste on the valve stems. To lubricate the stem whilst grinding I used some engine oil. So we ended up with all the valve seats looking like this.


!


!


[40]


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53