This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
The valve seats were also heavily pitted and would not have been sealing properly.


I carefully wire brushed the head using a rotary wire brush on an angle grinder. I was very careful not to scratch the machined surfaces and tried to avoid debris going into the oil and water passageways.


!


Before re-assembling the head with new parts I wanted to thoroughly clean it and paint it. I like to take the time to make things look nice as well as getting them mechanically correct. For me the hobby is as much for the fun of working on the vehicles as it is driving them and I find the process of cleaning and painting parts quite satisfying and therapeutic.


SO WE STARTED WITH THIS RATHER GREASY AND DIRTY HEAD.


!


Then thoroughly washed it with a high pressure jet of paraffin making sure I blew out all the debris from the bores, oil and water ways. I then gave it a couple of coats of high temperature engine red paint.


!


!


[39]


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53