This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Re-wiring the Headlights... ...on a 1997 Defender Ninety.


The one thing I've been unhappy about over winter months has been the quality of the headlights. I reckon a couple of exhausted glow-worms could do a better job. The lights were yellow and dim, and even though I kept them clean, and made sure they were correctly adjusted, they didn't really light the road much. It’s well known that the standard wiring on Defender and Series vehicles is not really up to the job, the positive feed for the lights goes through the light switch and the wiring of the loom is not large enough cable to take the current of standard lights, let alone upgraded bulbs. So I decided to replace the standard wiring with my own, incorporating a direct feed from the battery to a set of relays, and uprated wiring. Initially I was going to provide a relay for each individual light, but time, space and funds dictated that I settled on using three relays, one each for dipped beam, high beam, and spotlights.


I gathered together a collection of bits:


[22]


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53