This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Silliman University Alumni & Friends @ SD


SD Portal October 2012


Xra t Donors augment Filipiniana


section in Mira Mesa library The Filipiniana section of the Mira Mesa Library


will receive a revitalized collection of Filipino books and media when SUAF turns over a large donation as part of the chapter’s community participation to com- memorate Philippine-American History Month. The new Philippine Heritage and Culture book


collection will be presented to the public library in a ceremony featuring San Diego US representative Bob Filner (SD, HR 51st congressional district) as guest speaker. The presentation is at 1pm, Saturday, Oct. 27 at the library’s community room on 8405 New Salem, St., San Diego. Fely Narvaez chairs the Book committee which


initiated the book drive last January among members and friends to gather Philippine-related books and media. A partial list of donors include: Senen and Irene


Locso, Bonette and Romeo Cruspero, Vivien and Jojo Garrovillo, Jake Jacob, Dr. Elsa Ang, Mr. and Mrs. Dunsmore, Amy Buluran, Emeritus at Clairemont, Dick and Zeny Gonzales, Ernie and Francing Umali, Elvie and Rusty Magsarili; Rebecca and Rosben Majam, Len Pellettieri, the


Cabanban family, Fely andManny Narvaez, Hermie andMa. Menchu Abrigo, Julie and Jose Jacinto, Pastor Isaias andMila Paniamogan, Os- wald Esperat, Joel and Ligaya Simpkins, Margie Penson-Juico, Leilani Chua, and the Philippine Office of Tourism at Los Angeles.


October is Mission Month. In an article


entitled ―One Body‖ written by Board of Trustees chair Leonor Magtolis Briones last year, she said: ―This month the Christian churches are celebrat-


ing Mission Month. We reflect on an often neglect- ed and even forgotten mandate to Christians—to spread the gospel and the good news of Christian salvation. Matthew tells us that Jesus commanded his disciples to "go ye therefore, and teach all na- tions, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost..." Paul echoed this when he said in his letter to the Romans "Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation...But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see; and they that have not heard shall understand‖. Chairman Briones added: ―We cannot disappoint


the early missionaries who spent all their lives lay- ing the foundations of our beloved institution‖.


Meeting set October 20 SUAF will hold its quarterly meeting


Saturday, October 20 from 11am to 2:30pm at the Paniamogan residence in Perris. Agenda items include considera- tion of By-Laws revisions. The meeting is called by Pastor Isaias Paniomogan, election committee chairman. A potluck lunch will be provided.


Channon work set stage for SU Divinity School


Rev. Irving and Mary Channon 1921—1931


By Ligaya Magbanua Simpkins


American Missionaries 10th in a Series


The Congregational church had made rapid advances in northern Minda-


nao and their missionaries began to feel an urgent need for a training school for deaconesses and evangelists in the south who were proficient not only in the use of English but also in the use of their own vernacular dialect. Divergent views as to where to put up such a school eventually ended


in negotiations for a Bible school for evangelists at Dumaguete. The Ameri- can Board had presented a proposal for Silliman to open a ―Department of Bible and Christian training‖ which promising boys from Mindanao could attend prior to entering the Seminary in Manila. A further compromise was made in 1918 stipulating that the school for future dea- conesses and kindergarten teachers to be located in Cagayan, Misamis Oriental (now Cagayan de Oro city). The Presby- terians, whose personnel and resources were mostly concentrated in the Visayas, accepted the plan for this union enter- prise. Thus, in April, 1921, the American


Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions transferred a Congregationalist Missionary couple stationed in Cagayan to Silliman to take charge of the Bible School Department. In June, the ―Silliman Bible School‖ was for- mally inaugurated with the assigned missionary to serve as Dean and his wife as initial faculty. They would remain the only full-time faculty of the Bible school until their departure in 1931. As students increased in num- ber, assistance in teaching came from the Presbyterian field missionaries who served as part-time faculty at the then Silliman Institute. Seven stu- dents successfully completed the two year course and graduated during the first Graduating Exercise held on December 14, 1922. See CHANNONS page 3


Rev. Irving Channon


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6