This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Sunbury & Shepperton Locks By Nick Pollard


By Simon Wheatley, (RAOGS)


The locks on the river at Sunbury and Shepperton are the result of a scheme by the City of London, which had acquired the rights over the river as far as Staines from King Richard I back in 1197, to improve the


navi-


gation on the Thames. In dry summers there was so little water that barges could be strand- ed for weeks. In 1805 a series of locks were planned, located in long cuts to avoid bends in the river. At Shepperton this would have meant a channel from near Chertsey Bridge to Lower


Halliford.


Eventually the decision was made to instead place Shepperton lock across the narrow neck of ‘Stonor’s Gut’, where the river often breached through in times of flood. This creat- ed an island out of Hamhaugh, and required the re-routing of the towpath which had for- merly led around the edge of the new island. The Earl of Portmore was later to complain about the difficulty this caused his tenant farmer, in carrying away the hay from the meadow on the island! The lock opened in 1813, the lock keeper being provided with a house similar to the old lock house at Sunbury. By the 1890s the lock needed rebuilding, and a new lock was constructed alongside, to the south, which meant demol- ishing the original lock house and providing a new one. An extra weir channel was also cut, which resulted in the formation of the separate Shepperton Lock and Hamhaugh islands. At Sunbury, a long channel was cut by hand


Please mention SunburyMatters when responding to adverts


4


through the Surrey bank of the bend of the Thames opposite the village, and a lock built at the lower end of the cut. This first lock, opened in 1812, was sited alongside the old lock house and foot- bridge which still exist. The main chan- nel of the river now bypassed the original wharf at Sunbury, by the church, and the owner House


of Darby complained


Sunbury Lock in 1880, showing the 1856 Lock Keeper’s Cottage


that the bargemen were now tying up at the end of his proper- ty. When challenged, they replied they “would tie up to his doorknocker if they


were so minded”! In 1856, the lock was rebuilt at the tail end of the cut, the present location, with a new larger lock keepers cottage on the lock island. The date plaque from the cottage (now demolished) can still be seen on the side of the old manually-operated lock. This was the swansong for the City of London’s many centuries of looking after the river, as the new Thames Conservancy took over the following year. In 1927 a second lock was opened alongside by Lord Desborough, Chairman of the Thames Conservancy.


The Sunbury and Shepperton Local History Society will be staging a display of old photos of Sunbury at Sunbury Library on Sat 20th October from 10am to 4pm. For more information about the river locally, see ‘Life on the Thames’ published by the Society and available at the exhibition, Squire’s Garden Centre or Nauticalia.


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44