This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.

“An invaluable thank you for getting Leon to where he needed to be”

Boys will be boys. Every mother deals with countless cuts and bruises and muddy knees. Eleven year old Leon Stone is no different and the avid Manchester United fan, loves nothing more than playing outdoors.

On June 11, 2012, Leon was playing at Heath Road Community Park, in Stapenhill, Staffordshire, just fi ve minutes from his home. At 6pm the youngster’s innocent game caused a life-threatening accident when the year 6 pupil at Edge Hill Junior school decided to climb a 7ft fence.

What happened next almost ended his young life.

Leon explains; “When I got to the top of the fence my hand slipped and I fell down onto the fence spike. I lifted myself off and fell to the ground on my knees.”

Leon suffered potentially life-threatening injuries when he became impaled on the metal fence. As the spike pierced his chest, despite causing a severe three-inch puncture wound, it hit his chest bone and slid upwards hitting his sternum – which ultimately saved his life. Had it pierced his chest cavity, just cms lower it would have killed him instantly.

Leon recalls; “When I lifted my top I saw lots of blood and a big hole in my chest. I was scared. My friends called for an ambulance.”

His mum, Jayne, describes her horror; “As I got there the Air Ambulance was trying to land, that’s when I realised this wasn’t a playground tumble. I was petrifi ed of what I would fi nd and raced to where he was lying. When I saw him covered in blood, I thought he had died. My friend ran to tell me he was alive, I kept telling him everything was going to be OK. I was more upset than Leon. I was in complete shock while Leon was so brave and calm.”

Midlands Air Ambulance was called to action and the Tatenhill crew were on the scene in just minutes.

Paramedics gave little Leon an Oxygen mask to stabilise his breathing before assessing and stabilising his life threatening injuries. Aircrew sealed his chest puncture before airlifting him to the specialist trauma centre


at Birmingham Children’s Hospital where he received a chest x-ray to ensure he hadn’t punctured his lungs.

Unlike many airlift patients, Leon was conscious for the fl ight. He told Take Off; “I remember being lifted onto a board in the helicopter. A man was telling me I was going to be ok but I said they couldn’t take me because I hadn’t told my mum where I was going.”

His parents followed by car; “It took us over an hour, in rush hour traffi c to get to the hospital but I was reassured knowing he was getting the best care possible, as quickly as possible thanks to the Air Ambulance. I was so grateful they were there to get him to where he needed to be.”

The following morning the schoolboy underwent surgery to check for internal damage and to remove dirt from the wound. His stiches were replaced and he was discharged that night.

Leon cheated death by a fraction of an inch. His mum added; “I can’t think about what could have been. We are still shaken up by it but Leon is getting back to his old self.”

He now has a one and ½ inch scar but Jayne said; “It’s nothing compared to him not being here.”

Since the accident, the brave youngster has made a full recovery and is enjoying the summer holidays before starting high school.

Leon’s mum said; “I can’t thank the aircrew enough and his friends, such quick thinking for their age. Boys will be boys, I never told him off because I was just so relieved he was ok but he is aware of how lucky he is.”

Leon concluded; “I feel OK now but I won’t be climbing anything for a while. This has put me off.”

while. This ha Pictures courtesy of Caters News Agency

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28