This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Silliman University Alumni & Friends @ SD


SD Portal June 2012


American Xt ra


Missionaries 6th in a Series


Iconic campus buildings:


legacy of Charles Glunz By Ligaya Magbanua Simpkins


Charles and Henrietta Glunz (1904-1945)


The Foundation of God standeth sure. (II Timothy 2:19)


Charles A. Glunz had worked on the design and Glunz’s vision of Silliman Church


Leaders shaped chapter The story of SUAF @ SD is a reflection of the


interest and dedication of members especially those who helped found the alumni chapter in 1991 and the consis- tency in leadership by those who served as presidents. Laarni Gularek (Catague) is on the second year of her term in the office, but eight others preceded her with distinguished two-year tenures, including the late Rev. Zosimo Jadloc who passed away in 2008.


Rev. Jadloc Two Silliman College of The- Susan Soldwisch


ology graduates – pastor Jadloc and Rev. Isaias Paniamogan germinated the idea of an alumni group in San Diego, and a year later, in an organizational meeting at the residence of Bill and Susan Soldwisch (Monte de Ramos), the chapter was born. In April the first officers were selected at the home ofManny and Fely Nar- vaez (Tan). The founding mem-


bership would include former SU Church minister Rev. Harry Pak and wife Carmen (Utzurrum) and long-time religion professor Jose Jacinto and wife Julie (Datuin). The initial president in 1992


Amy Buluran


was Rev. Jadloc who obtained theology and divinity degrees in 1956 and 1962, respectively, and a masters in sociology in 1957 at Silliman. He was succeeded by Amelia Hernandez Buluran from 1993 to 1995. Amy is a retired (See LEADERS page 2)


construction of the church in the early years of the war and on Founders Day, 1941, the cornerstone for Silliman Church was dedicated. Engraved on the cornerstone was the text from II Timothy 2:19 which would serve as a rallying


call throughout WW II and the watchword of faith for Silliman University, its faculty, students and alumni in the years thence. He chose this Bible verse for the cornerstone of the Silliman Church recalling that it was the motto on the San Francisco YMCA building that had withstood earthquake and fire. Dr. Horace B. Silliman conveyed a desire for an industrial school in the Phil-


ippines and that an industrial educator be secured for the Institute. A search in the Philippines led the Presbyterian Board to hire Mr. Glunz. He had volun- teered for service at the outbreak of the Spanish-American war and accompa- nied American troops in the capture of Manila. He had began Christian work as secretary in the Oakland YMCA, and in Manila founded the Army and Navy YMCA, serving as its executive-secretary. Mr. Glunz received Board confirmation of his appointment as Presbyterian


missionary April 1904 with an assignment for industrial education at the then Silliman Institute. He arrived on campus on Oct. 13, 1904. Wife Henrietta who shared in the missionary appointment arrived the following year from the States with their two small daughters Kathryn Elizabeth and Anna Margaret. Charles Glunz was born in Evansville, Indiana in 1875


Charles Glunz


and completed high school education in Oakland, CA. He went to night schools and through correspondence, studied technical subjects and earned credits in Physics and Me- chanical Drawing from the University of California as well as a certificate in a course for Teachers of Applied Subjects with credits in supervision of vocational education. He ob- tained certification in Mechanics and Art Subjects from the California State Board of Education. These were the modest credentials of the industrial teacher who would serve Silliman for the next 41 years and find his name looming large in the ranks of missionary builders and whose life story would become part of


Silliman history. At the time their arrival, the Institute started to experi-


ence a growth in student enrolment, an increase in fac- ulty, an enlargement of the campus with more permanent buildings and equipment and a development of curricu- lum towards the achievement of the educational goals of the Institution. A literary society and other student or- ganizations began to appear in the school life. Mrs. Henrietta Heimbold Glunz, a graduate of San Francisco Normal School, taught Philippine history, English literature (See GLUNZ, page 2)


Henrietta Glunz


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4