Salem Community Patriot | March 9, 2012 - 5 VOTE NO TO CURBSIDE PICKUP: THE RECAP
Over the past several weeks we’ve pointed out false statements, blatant lies, and consistent misrepresentations by the Salem Waste Committee. Here’s a recap on why you should VOTE NO TO CURBSIDE PICKUP!!
• $100,000 ERROR made by the Salem Waste Committee in a miscalculation of the curbside budget… before we’ve even vote, they’ve raised the price tag! • $1 million ERROR by the Waste Committee which reported that the Town Transfer Station cost $2.2 million. Town records prove the actual operating cost in 2010 was $1.1 million, a reduction from the previous year!
• Gross misrepresentation by the Committee which said the Town will save money with curbside when the numbers show we’ll spend an additional half million dollars a year… a cost which will be paid by YOU the taxpayer!
• Miscalculations of the amount of solid waste generated by the Town AND the amount of recycling done at the Transfer Station.
o Pat Hargraeves consistently made false statements regarding the proposal including his claim that our recycling rate is only 12% when in fact it’s 18.6% (a number that’s steadily increased over the past 3 years - even though he’d have you believe otherwise!)
o Salem Waste Committee has tried to lead you to believe that we have a problem with recycling at the Transfer Station when in reality everything at the Transfer Station is ultimately recycled!
o The Waste Committee based the RFP on miscalculations on the amount of trash generated by the Town which will result in higher fees by the vendor as they have bid on the project based on those erroneous numbers!
• Misrepresentation by the Waste Committee regarding the amount of money YOU’ll pay in higher taxes if curbside is passed… they claimed $33/home which we know won’t generate enough to fund curbside (based on their numbers, they’ll be $216,000 short… and that is assuming they haven’t made any additional math errors in their budget…are you willing to take that risk??)
• Misrepresentation of the ACTUAL monthly fees the average home will pay for curbside, including:
o $33/year in taxes (a number we already know to be inaccurate) o Additional cost for extra trash & recycling totes (which most homes will need) o Additional $40 per month per tote for extra trash bins to be picked up (per the RFP) o Additional $20 per month per tote for extra recycle bins to be picked up (per the RFP) o In addition to added taxes, the 52% of you who prefer not to pay for private pickup now will spend an average of $60/month for curbside…
o The 48% of residents who do choose to pay for private pickup will pay an average of $40/month more for limited trash pickup (they now get unlimited pickup and can shop around for competitive pricing).
• The Waste Committee’s promised Target Marketing Program: Which means “Big Brother will be watching”-- and waiting to slap you with even more fees and fines if they deem you a “problem” (they haven’t told us what they’ll define as prob- lem, how they’ll determine our “punishment” if they decide we’re a problem, or who will decide which of us is a problem!)
• They have harassed, bullied, spied on and defamed my character over the course of this debate solely because I have tried to bring the truth to the Townspeople. I have printed only the truth and all of what I have said can be verified. They continue to flip flop of their story, and misrepresent the facts. What does this say of the character of those who are trying to push you toward this initiative?
**And this just in… the Municipal Solid Waste Committee mailed a 2-page, 3-color flyer to tax payers promoting their proposal for curbside. How much did this cost? Was it paid by tax dollars? (It certainly appears so since the return address is “Municipal Solid Waste Committee of Salem, New Hampshire.”) AND their “FACTS” stink more than an overflow- ing septic tank on a hot summer’s day…
With all of the errors, lies, and miscalculations on the part of the Salem Waste Committee, it’s absurd that they are still trying to paint a pretty, rosy picture of curbside pickup… IF IT DON’T LOOK LIKE A ROSE, AND IT DON’T SMELL LIKE A ROSE, IT’S PROBABLY NOT A ROSE…
When you read their shiny new mailer, think about how much time, resources, funding and tax dollars went into funding this entire proposal and all of the advertisement for it! We could have used that money for so many more important things… our schools, public servants, police, fire, DPW workers, teachers… We didn’t ask for curbside, and we don’t need it, especially in these hard economic times!!
My fellow citizens, the Town’s Solid Waste Committee, which is shoving this proposal down your throats with all of their misrepresentations, have demonstrated a serious lack of knowledge about the Transfer Station, the cost to run it, and the exorbitant cost curbside collection will bring. SHAME ON THE TOWN OF SALEM SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE!
Know the REAL facts.
NO! to CURBSIDE COLLECTION on MARCH 13 and Don’t let a few decide the fate of many…ATTEND the 2nd Deliberative
Session on MARCH 17 at 9am SHARP at Salem High to ensure that your vote counts!
Sincerely, Frederick Leccese, A Concerned Citizen Political Advertisement:
Approved by the United States Constitution, under 1st Amendment Freedom of Speech & Freedom of Expression; Paid for by FJ Leccese, 31 Cove Road, Salem, NH
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20