Snack Ideas • Keep cut vegetables in the refrigerator for a crisp, crunchy snack. • Snack on fruit with yogurt. • Pack a piece of fruit for your commute home. • Add dried fruit and whole-grain dry cereal to trail mix. • Make a fruit smoothie. • Have whole-grain crackers instead of chips. • Pop your own popcorn for a healthy whole-grain snack.
• Snack on unsalted nuts, crackers, and pretzels instead of salted varieties.
Meal Ideas • Slice half a banana to put on cereal in the morning.
• Top pancakes or waffles with fruit instead of syrup, or add fruit to the batter.
• Try steel-cut oats with fresh fruit for breakfast.
• For a quick veggie pizza, top a pita pocket with spaghetti sauce, low-fat cheese, and vegetables.
• Add extra tomatoes, onions, and lettuce to tacos and burritos. • Add extra vegetables to a can of soup. • Top a baked potato with salsa in place of high-calorie condiments.
• Add frozen mixed vegetables to pasta sauces, casseroles, or rice dishes.
• Make stir-fry with a variety of vegetables and brown rice. • Cook homemade soup with whole-grain pasta, beans, and lentils. • When cooking, use half the recommended amount of salt. • Don’t salt food at the dinner table.
Huntsman Cancer Institute | www.huntsmancancer.org
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20