goodeats Give Your Heart a Boost with Blueberries Fresh Blueberries are considered a superfood by
leading nutrition and medical experts, and are a recommended diet staple for a healthy heart, skin care and longevity. Benefits of blueberries include: • A half-cup of blueberries is only 40 calories and contains ample amounts of fiber, vitamin C, potassium and antioxidants. • Blueberries contain more disease-fighting antioxidants than red wine or green tea. • Half a cup of blueberries a day may help improve brain function. • New skin care treatments include blueberry
extracts to help revitalize the skin and hasten healing. • Blueberries provide the same bacteria fighters as cranberries to help guard against urinary tract infections.
—Family Features Fresh
Blueberry Green Tea Smoothie
• 1 banana • 1 cup plain yogurt • 3/4 cup fresh blueberries • Zest of one orange • 4 ice cubes • 1 cup Blueberry Green Tea Fusion
Blend well and top with a twist of orange peel or a sprig of mint.
Nutrients per serving: 80 calories, 2g dietary fiber, 42mg sodium, 4g protein Developed by the Chilean Fresh Fruit
Blueberry Green Tea Fusion
• 2 cups water • 1 cup fresh blueberries • 2 green tea bags • Honey or agave to taste
Bring water to a boil. Add fresh blueberries. Boil 5 minutes; strain. Add two green tea bags and steep 3 to 5 minutes. Add honey or agave to sweeten. Drink hot or pour over ice.
Nutrients per serving: 8 servings each, 11 calories, 0.5 grams dietary fiber
Salad with Almonds Serves: 6
• 2 whole cooked chicken breasts
• 1/2 cup red onion chopped
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar • 1/2 cup minced green onion
• 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries • 1 cup fresh blueberries • 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons plain yogurt • 1/4 cup sweet mustard • 1/4 cup toasted almonds
Dice chicken breasts
and place in mixing bowl. Sprinkle red onion with rice vinegar; toss into bowl. Add green onion, parsley, cranberries and blueberries; fold gently to mix.
In small mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, yogurt and sweet mustard. Blend well; fold dressing into salad. Garnish with toasted almonds.
Nutrients per serving:
322 calories, 13 g fat, 114 calories from fat, 3 g saturated fat, 66 mg
cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 3 g dietary fiber and 22 g protein
Share Some Love with Cupcakes
There’s no better way to say “Be Mine” than with a collection of Valentine’s Day cupcakes – a great surprise for anyone you’re sweet on this February 14.
Red Velvet with Love Cupcakes
• Valentine mini baking cups or silicone baking cups
• 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
• 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar • 2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons No-Taste Red Icing Color
• 1 teaspoon Imitation Clear Vanilla Extract
• 1 cup buttermilk • 2 tablespoons water • 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar • 1teaspoon baking soda • Buttercream Icing • Red, Rose and Black Icing Color
• Red Foil Swirls Cupcake Wraps • Valentine Sprinkles, Jumbo Hearts Sprinkles, Heart Icing Decorations,
Decorations, Candy Eyeballs Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line
muffin pan with baking cups or set silicone cups on cookie sheet and spray with vegetable pan spray.
flour, 12 | northsidewoman.com
In medium bowl, combine cocoa,
baking powder and salt; set aside. In large bowl, Icing
cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, red icing color and vanilla extract; mix well until icing color is well incorporated. add flour
buttermilk; add water and mix well. In a small bowl, combine white vinegar and baking soda; gently stir into cupcake mixture. Distribute cupcake batter evenly in cups.
Bake 20-22 minutes for cupcakes,
for mini cupcakes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes completely.
For Love Monster Cupcakes, use tip 18 and rose icing to pipe pull-out stars on cupcake tops. Add candy eyeballs with dots of
icing. Add tip 10 red
icing dot nose. Use tip 4 and black icing to pipe dot pupils and outline mouth. Position heart picks.
For Other Cupcakes, spatula ice cupcake smooth or top with tip 22 mini cupcake icing swirl or tip 1M standard cupcake icing swirl. If desired, place in cupcake wraps. Top with desired sprinkles or icing decorations or add tip 4 message.
Makes about 20 standard cupcakes; 4 dozen minis.
And for dessert...
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36
| Page 37
| Page 38
| Page 39
| Page 40