This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Natural Resources


The Old McKenzie Fish Hatchery was established in 1907 at what


today is Leaburg Lake. The site was operated by the State of Oregon to grow trout and salmon until the early 1950s. In 1951, the hatch- ery collected 1,530,560 fish eggs for breeding using weirs in the river like the one above. In 1952 the hatchery operation was moved to a new facility just across Leaburg Dam. The old hatchery was closed in 1953.


Above Blue River, the Lucky Boy Mine was the largest gold mine


and was discovered in 1887, producing gold between 1898 and 1915. Encompassing 3,800 acres, the Lucky Boy Mining Company was ac- tive up into the 1950’s. At that time the Oregon Dept. of Geology and Minerals reported there were 26 patented and 175 unpatented claims in the area. The operation included its own hydroelctric plant (above) to keep 25 men employed on a three-shift basis, The Cinderella Mine operated during the 1960’s, yielding five


tons of ore averaging 1.84 ounces of gold and 1.18 ounces of silver per ton.


Photos Wanted


We’re looking for recreational photos for our McKenzie Traveler’s Guide & the McKenzie Recreation Guide


541-822-3358 • rivref@aol.com


59059 Old McKenzie Hwy., McKenzie Bridge, Oregon 97413


facebook.com/mckenzieriverreflections You don’t have to be a “Facebooker” to take a look


Page 18 2012 Bicentennial McKenzie River Recreation Guide Contact us at:


Formed as the Cascade Forest Reserve in 1893, the Willamette National Forest was producing nearly 1 billion board feet of timber in 1990. Following adoption of the Willamette NF Land Man- agement Plan in 1990, timber sale volumes have averaged 132 MMBF.


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24