Eddies of Evolution on the McKenzie
the winter of 1939-40. It was a 14’ (around the sheer) double-ender. He simply repeated the bow frame pattern and replicated it for the stern, except that he lengthend the down river frames to accentu- ate the down river prow. The new design revolutionized McKenzie River drift boats, although it was not until 1946 that he was able to build 16’ boats due to the limitations on plywood panel lengths. The double-ender became Woodie’s boat of choice. The boat’s popularity was tied to its functionality. It was a charm to row due to the accentuated rocker. It would pivot on a dime. This boat sports the most extreme rocker of the early McKenzies. Its crescent lines are lovely. As Woodie noted in one of his diaries, the lines had a purpose: “... to resemble the crescent shapes of the waves ...” The boat, however had at least one limitation, the loss of some
interior space. This boat also became the choice of many River guides through the 1940s. In 1946 Woodie modified the double- ender. He removed the up-river bow and replaced it with a small tombstone type transom. McKenzie River guide Everett Spaulding claims he talked Woodie into this modification. A 1974 Eugene Register-Guard article about the McKenzie boats quotes Spaulding as saying he was tired of rowing the long, slow, lower stretches of the Umpqua and Rogue Rivers. He said he wanted Woodie to build a double-ender with a small transom so he could hang a motor off the transom to move him more quickly through the slow water. Regard- less the reason Woodie built his first double-ender with a transom in 1946. It was 16’ around the sheer and measured 5’ 6-1/4” across the beam amidships and 4’ across the bottom. It was this boat that set the standard for all subsequent McKenzie style drift boats. It also raised questions and debates about which end of the boat was actu- ally the stern and which end was actually the bow.
Motorized Boating Allowed Ben & Kay Dorris Park, Deerhorn Park, Deerhorn, Leaburg,
Lower Greenwood, Silver Creek, Hamlin, Mona Campground, McMullen’s, Finn Rock, Forest Glen, Lookout, Buckhart Bridge, Big Lake, Blue River Reservoir, Cougar Reservoir, McKenzie River below Goodpasture Covered Bridge, Smith Reservoir, and Trail Bridge Reservoir.
Access for Non-Motorized Boating Deadmond Ferry, Harvest Lane, Bellinger, Emmerich Lane,
Walterville, Hendricks Wayside, Dot’s, Greenwood, Lloyd Knox Park, Ike’s, Big Lake, Blue River Reservoir, Clear Lake, Delta Campground, Ice Cap Creek Campground, McKenzie Bridge Campground, McKenzie River, Olallie Campground, Paradise Campground, Scott Lake Campground, Smith Reservoir, and Trail Bridge Reservoir.
Belknap Hot Springs, Terwilliger Hot Springs, Deer Creek Hot Springs.
Big Lake, Blue River Reservoir, Cougar Reservoir, Ice Cap Creek Campground, McKenzie River, Scott Lake Campground, Smith Reservoir, Terwilliger Hot Springs, Trail Bridge Reser- voir.
Water Skiing Big Lake, Blue River Reservoir, and Cougar Reservoir.
McKenzie River Trips from May - September
A boat that carries a small plate that reads, Built by - Woodie Hindman Boats - Springfield, Oregon, was most likely built by Marty Rathje, the man who bought Woodie busi- ness in 1954.
For more information, go to: www.riverstouch.com/ OldScow.ht
Half-day trips cover 10 miles near McKenzie Bridge and includes sodas and snacks. One-day trips raft from Paradise Campground to Blue River and include a delicious lunch.
Schaefers Guide Service
Vida, OR 97488 firstname.lastname@example.org
P.O. Box 34
Dry Fly Fishing for Native Rainbows on the Upper McKenzie River. May-Nov. Cookouts, Whitewater drift trips.
2012 Bicentennial McKenzie River Recreation Guide
541-896-3789 541- 915-8656 Cell
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24