This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
FRIDAY 2 DECEMBER 2011 | PLUTO Pluto Sport Rugby Union 1sts clinch commanding victory Match report, page 14

Super spell saves Football 2nds

A 15 minute purple patch helps Football 2nds make it four league games unbeaten against all the odds Gormley should have had his second in the 31st

UCLan Men’s Football 2nds Liverpool Hope 1sts

Sam Gilliland

FOUR goals in 15 minutes earned the UCLan Mens Football 2nds a 4-3 win over the Liverpool Hope University 1sts. Will Monks and Tom Kearney each bagged a

second half brace to turn the match on its head after the 2nds had gone in 2-0 down at half time. Liverpool opened the scoring in the 23rd minute

when Nathan Ball’s right wing cross was headed home by striker Martin Gormley. And it could have been two just six minutes later

when defender Dan Brown headed over a cross from Mark Argent.

4 3

minute when he failed to connect with a cross by Joe Dale. The forward went one better a minute later when

he did manage to latch on to Dale’s pass and produce a confident finish past keeper Josh Mountain. It took UCLan until the 52nd minute to pull themselves back when Monks headed Daniel Morgan’s corner past keeper Micheal Magill. And it was all square just a sole minute later as

Monks controversially broke through to chip Magill after the ball had hit referee Phillip Rigby and deflected back into the path of the attacking side. Tom Kearney came on to complete the turnaround

less than a minute later with a swivel and shot past the hapless Liverpool keeper. And defender Mark Griffiths teed up Kearney for a fourth in the 65th minute after a lung busting run

from inside of his own half. Kearney drove the ball home from the edge of the area for his second in ten minutes. Liverpool Hope gave themselves a last glimpse of

a recovery in the 73rd minute when substitute Josh Clair headed in a corner at the far post. And they were denied a share of the spoils after

Dave McTeggart appeared to equalise in stoppage time, but the referee ruled out the goal for a foul on the goalkeeper. The defender was deemed to have fouled Mountain after the UCLan keeper looked to have dropped a catch following a punt into the area. Speaking after the match, super sub Kearney said:

“We were holding on at the end after conceding the third goal. “We struggled in the first half and just couldn’t get into the game. The passing just wasn’t there.”

The Sports Journalism first year student added: “At half time, everyone just regrouped. “I came on when we had already got one back and

then we scored a lovely chip to get the second. “The third and fourth goals just gave us a bit of breathing space.” The end of the side’s 2011 commitments will be a

BUCS Cup meeting with Salford 1sts, who reside in a lower division. UCLan will be looking to end the year on a

winning note as well as grasping a spot in the Last 16 of the cup.

UCLan squad: Josh Mountain, Daniel Morgan, Liam Smith, Mark Griffiths, Joseph Ormond, Mark Vincent, Mark Struminski, Will Monks, Chris Gilligan, Jack Mawdsley, Richie Sandham, Ryan O’Toole, Tom Kearney, Carl O’Brien, Daniel Horrocks, Rob Hatchard.

UCLan goalscorers: Monks (2), Kearney (2)

Photo:Cindy ho

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16