This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
We set sail for Malta along with 013 and were about 8 hours on the way when news came through of the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan and all sailings being cancelled. We returned to Gibraltar but 013 went on to Malta. We did not meet up again. For us the rest of the year was spent helping ASR at Gibraltar. One of our jobs was to ferry a cricket team to

My RAF Wartime Service 1940—46, Part 3 b e i hf o Cath and Tony Lynn

y Kn Lg tot

were stored in very large tanks inside the Rock. We were supplied by water tankers from Morocco filled up once a week so we were rationed to a bucket per man, per day, for washing, drinking and cooking. It taught us to be careful and to value water, We used to dive over the side to cool down and used sea water to scrub down the decks and bridge.

Morocco, Port Laughty which gave us a very good experience of how Arabs lived. All the crew had been given money from their pay to buy goods in Morocco and many had bought cigarettes to take there. We found children of 12 and 13 with English money on the quayside wanting to buy them so we went back to Gibraltar with more money than we took over. While at Part Laughty most of the crew were invited to the USA airbase and had a great time. On the way back our skipper F/Lt Sudbury (we

called him “Know-all Sud for he would not take advice from anyone), refused the assistance of a pilot and wait for high tide to navigate the river. As a result we ran aground on the way to the sea and had to put anchors out and wait for the night tide to float us off again. The Cox. Sgt. McCloud and the 1st fitter, Sgt. Cockburn were livid, calling him all the names under the sun (under their breath). So did we, especially as the M/B/C’s who had to walk in the mud to put the anchors out. However, all’s well that ends well and we arrived back at Gibraltar wiser and richer to buy more presents to take home. We formed a cricket and football team while at

Gibraltar to play against the ASR team there. We had some good matches and really had a very good time. We were not allowed to see the tunnels inside the Rock but there was plenty to do, shops galore, ‘housey-housey’ (bingo today) in the Theatre Hall with wonderful prizes. I had a couple of goes but did not win anything. One thing we had to be careful about was water.

Spain would not supply us and Gibraltar itself had to rely on the large catchments on the Mediterranean side which

On 20th December we received orders to return to

Blighty so we refuelled, filled up with water and food, and said ‘Goodbye’ to Gibraltar en route to Lisbon. Portugal, staying overnight. We made the best of our time there looking round the place. It has a beautiful square. We were given 40 Esquedos to spend from our pay. I bought two bottles of port and two bottles of wine to bring home. I do not drink but do occasionally like a port-and-lemon. We made it back in 24 hours at 22 knots all the way and arrived in Dover on 23rd December. Half the crew went on Christmas leave and half on

New Year’s leave (7 days each). I opted for New Year as Christmas was too busy and Joyce was working in the Land Army. It was great to see those ‘White Cliffs of Dover’ again, safe and sound in good old Blighty. When we were all back from leave we were sent to Blythe to provide ASR in the North Sea for aircraft bringing troops home. We did 4 trips out including one picking up an air-borne dinghy dropped by a Wellington in the Tees and depositing it at Hartlepool. I could see my home town in the distance but had to wait for my next leave to get there. Finally we received orders on 2nd October 1946 to proceed to Poole Harbour to lay up our boat. We had a good trip via Gorlestone and arrived on 6th October. We laid up in the large harbour alongside scores of other small craft, then off to Padgate once more, this time to collect demob suits and head for home-sweet-home after six years of RAF service which I can truly say I did enjoy in spite of all the bull and anxious moments, back home to enjoy real married life and to work in Dad’s newsagent’s shop. (See Ken’s picture on page 22.)

Successful Beer Festival

After months of planning, the second Saltburn Beer Festival, run by Cleveland CAMRA, took place on the weekend of the 11th and 12th November in the Community Hall as part of the Saltburn 150 celebrations. Around 800 people attended from as far away as Italy, Holland, Ireland, Edinburgh, London and twenty-seven other locations in England; many visiting Saltburn for the first time and staying in local bed and breakfast establishments or with friends or family. Their comments were very positive regarding the town, especially the Farmers’ Market, the wonderful atmosphere of the venue and the warm welcome they received. There were forty different beers available, mainly

from small breweries in Lincolnshire and from the east coast, several of which were new to this area. There were also six different ciders and perries, and fruit wines. This year there was a good selection of all of these until closing


time on Saturday, unlike two years ago when everything had run out by 8pm. The Saltburn 150 commemorative glasses and the beer festival polo shirts were much admired, with many people buying them to keep, or give as Christmas presents. Some are still some available at £2.50 for the glasses and £10.00 for the polo shirts and they will be on sale at the last Saltburn 150 exhibition on the 18th and 19th December or by emailing Many people helped to make this event such a success,

but I would especially like to thank the Saltburn, Marske and New Marske Parish Council for part sponsorship of the glasses, the staff and volunteers of Saltburn Community Arts Association, Whistle Stop Wines, all the sponsors of casks of beer, the caterers Richard and Sue and last, but not least, the CAMRA volunteers who spent months planning the event and working long hours during the festival. Jill Day (Festival Organiser)

PDF Created with deskPDF PDF Writer - Trial ::

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60