Pelham - Windham News August 19, 2011 - 9
Top 10 easily overlooked back-to-school essentials multiple-page assignments.
3. Umbrella. Whether walking to class on a college campus or home from middle school, umbrellas are an easily overlooked school essential that pay dividends in student comfort. A collapsible model that fits in your student’s backpack or book bag will be easiest to carry whenever the weather looks questionable.
4. Correction fluid or tape. For last-minute, on-the-go fixes to important school assignments, a bottle of white correction tape or a correction pen is a must when re-printing or re-doing isn’t an option.
5. USB flash drive. Since so many school projects are now completed on computers, a USB drive makes it easy to save files and work on them anywhere. Whether your student is working on a paper at home, or on a group presentation at a friend’s house, files will be easily accessible.
Pens, pencils, erasers, paper - these are the school supplies stu- dents need year after year and are on almost every parent’s back-to- school shopping list. However, that doesn’t mean they’re the only supplies students need to survive the school year with ease. Instead of waiting until your student realizes what he’s missing once it’s too late, shop now for these easily overlooked back-to-school essentials. “Most students have that ‘oh no’ moment once they’re under a deadline and realize they don’t have the right materials to complete it or when they’re already stuck in a difficult situation,” says Rebecca Smith of Master Lock. “Using past experience to think ahead and shop early will help students - and parents - avoid those dreaded moments and navigate the school year a bit easier.”
1. Pencil sharpener. You’ve got the pencils, but sharpening them can be a real hassle as not all classrooms have a functioning built-in sharpener. To help students avoid trips to and from their desk during important tests, purchase a small pencil sharpener with a built-in shaving collection system that can be stored in a backpack pocket.
2. Portable stapler. Students are often in need of a quick staple,
yet a stapler is nowhere to be found. A small, portable stapler can be a major timesaver for students who are frequently required to turn in
6. Stain remover pen. From lunch spills, to grass stains to stray pen marks, students appreciate being able to touch up messy spots that wind up on their clothing throughout the day. Where water doesn’t always work, portable stain remover pens work well on hard-to-re- move spots.
7. Security products. School supplies become useless if they’re stolen from your student. To help avoid theft, invest in at least four types of security products: a padlock for students’ school or gym lockers such as Master Lock’s Speed Dial combination lock, a back- pack lock to deter pickpockets, a portable mini-safe that can help keep valuables safe in a dorm room or in transit and a lock to attach to your laptop or desktop computer.
8. Three-hole punch. From organizing class notes and handouts in a three-ring binder for easy review, to binding presentations before turning them in, students find endless uses for a three-hole punch after investing in one.
9. Mints or brush strips. Since many schools do not allow gum in classrooms, mints or brush strips are great options for students to carry with them for use after a potent lunch.
Creative and affordable ways to personalize school supplies
10. Water bottle. If your school allows it, help your student stay
hydrated by providing them with a portable water bottle that can hang from a backpack via a simple carabineer. A hydrated student equals a happier and more productive student. Water bottles are particularly handy if the school is older and not equipped with air condition- ing. For more
advice on back-to- school- essentials, visit www. masterlock.
com. - ARA Content
1ST Call for details.
Get Ready for Back to School with 15% off
Dance Shoes! Sale Runs August 29th thru Sept. 15th.
dance, cheer & gymnastics apparel. 60 Rockingham Road, Windham firstname.lastname@example.org
We also carry a wide variety of 898-5054
Back to School Special! Don’t Miss this Opportunity to Save!
We are waiving our $150 per child enrollment fee if enrolled by: SEPT 2nd.
Please call for details: 603-898-0771
Child Care 5 Industrial Drive, Suite A • Windham, NH
WE MAKE GREAT GRADES HAPPEN
With One-On-One Tutoring in Your Home!
• All Subjects • Pre-K - Adult • Reading • Writing • Math • SAT/ACT Prep • Study Skills
• Affordable Rates • Qualified Teachers Summer Programs Forming Now!
It’s time to trade in the sunglasses, swimwear and flip-flops for book bags, crayons and calcula- tors. The hustle and bustle of the back-to-school season means shopping for all the new clothes, electronics, books and supplies needed to start the school year off right. Back-to-school shopping can be difficult for students looking to express themselves and for parents who face the increas- ing expense of education. Book bags, pencils and pens - even calcula- tors and rulers provide a palette for creative expression. A new and inexpensive way to add flair and creativity to ordinary book covers, plain notebooks and dull folders is to use Duck Tape brand duct tape Sheets. The sheets are available in a variety of colors including blue, white, red, silver, black, green, purple and yellow. For students who really want to stand out, sheets also come in prints, such as zebra, leopard, camouflage and tie-dye.
Here are ways to add a touch of personalization to school supplies and other belongings using duct tape or other household crafting tools: * Jazz up notebooks and folders with different colors or prints for each class to make them quick and easy to find when grabbing supplies from your book bag or locker. * Personalize a pencil case,
lunch box or book bag with your name so they don’t get lost in the shuffle.
* Make a duct tape wallet or purse and tuck your lunch money in a safe place.
* Use stencils to trace letters and add the name of each class or subject to make finding the cor- rect book easy. * Create fun artwork out of duct tape shapes and designs to
decorate the insides of lockers. * Accent personal belongings, such as cell phone cases, clothing and more. * Make and
decorate picture frames for lockers to hang pictures of favorite school memories. The school bells of a new school
year also mean it’s time for fall sporting events. Students can be the biggest fan in the stands at pep rallies and games. They can show their school spirit by making pennants, flags, megaphones and even T-shirts. Visit DuckBrand.com
for crafting instructions using Duck Tape Sheets.
Heading back to school
gives students, from elementary to high school, the opportunity to develop and show off their own style and personal- ity with a unique twist on traditional school supplies.
- ARA Content
Voted Salem’s Best Dance Studio
Teri Desrosiers Certified Member:
Dance Educators of America Phone:
160 Main Street, Route 97 Salem, New Hampshire
Now Registering for the New Dance Season Sat. Aug. 20th & 27th 10am-12pm
Wed. Aug. 24th & 31st, 6pm-7:30pm Wednesdays 4:30pm - 5:30pm Boys Class www.SalemDanceNetwork.com
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16