Come in and browse our books • Orders by appointment only Books may be taken out overnight
Call Kim at 525-3247/x-130
We also carry a full line of: Birth Announcements • Shower Invitations Place Cards • Napkins & More
280 North Main Street • East Longmeadow • 525-6661 Open: Monday through Friday 8:30-5:00
Scantic Valley Y welcomes public to Healthy Kids Day
WILBRAHAM – On April 30, the Scantic Valley
encouraging all kids and parents in the Greater Springfield area to come to the Y for a play date and commit to being active every day. It’s all part of the YMCA’s
Healthy Kids Day – the nation’s largest health day for families. The free event will take place at the Scantic Valley YMCA from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and feature activities such as a bounce house, child ID kits, a book fair, police bike safety inspections, Girl and Boy Scouts, a Zumbatomic demo and much much more.
As a leading non-profit strengthening community through healthy living, the Y hosts Healthy Kids Day to teach healthy habits to kids and inspire a lifetime love of physical activity. At a time when one in three children in the United States are overweight or obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, developing
healthier habits that include increased physical activity is more important than ever. “At the Scantic Valley Y Family
Center, we know that parents struggle to find the time to incorporate more active play and healthier habits into their kids’ daily routine,” Megan Palmer, program director at the Scantic Valley Family Center, said. “Doing so doesn’t have to require extra money or resources. It’s as simple as making a play date with your kids, with two key requirements – be active and have fun!”
As part of Healthy Kids Day,
the Y encourages families to make play dates everyday as a simple way to become healthier, more active and connected. The Scantic Valley Y Family Center recommends five simple activities families can do to play together:
1. Schedule a game night: Play games with the kids that incorporate physical activity, such as Charades.
2. Dance, dance: Turn on the family’s favorite party music and dance! Make this activity more fun with a dance contest. 3. Go riding: Find a new bike path or park for a fun afternoon outdoors; grab helmets and go rollerblading or bike riding. 4. Channel your inner youth: Remember playing hopscotch, jump rope, Simon Says or freeze tag as a kid? Teach your favorite childhood game to your kid(s) and play them together. 5. Play outside: Visit the neighborhood park or camp out in the backyard for some outdoor fun. Get everyone moving with fun sports like soccer, basketball or baseball.
Healthy Kids Day will be celebrated at nearly 1,600 Ys across the country, with more than 700,000 families expected to attend this year. For more information, contact
Palmer at 596-2749 ext.109 or visit www.scanticvalleyy.org
BASIC INFANTRY TRAINING GRADUATE Army National Guard Pvt. Anthony R. Hiller has graduated from basic infantry training at Fort Benning, Columbus, Ga. During the nine weeks of training, the soldier received training in drill and ceremonies, weapons, map reading, tactics, military courtesy, military justice, physical fitness, first aid, and Army history, core values and traditions. Additional training included development of basic combat skills and battlefield operations and tactics, and experiencing use of various weapons and weapons defenses available to the infantry crewman. He is the son of Karl Hiller and Gail Hiller of Springfield.
Longmeadow Montessori Pre School & Kindergarten
Open House Event • Sat., April 30 • 9-11am
Our curriculum includes Literacy, Math, Science, Geography, French, Music and Art for children 2 years, 9 months to 6 years of age.
• Flexible Half & Full-day schedules • Before & after school programs • Transportation available to/from all Longmeadow Public Elementary Schools
Be Gentle. Be Kind. Be Safe. RSVP by April 28th – 567-1820
777 Longmeadow Street • Longmeadow www.longmeadowmontessori.org
A little privacy?
Arborvitaes • Dark American and Emeralds
• 4 sizes • Guaranteed 2 full years
• Your choice - cash & carry, delivered or planted.
• Also Hemlocks, Pines or Forsythias
A lot of color?
Perennials • 1,000s. Big and beautiful.
• Terrific selection Sale
4” beginners many choices
3/$ Good thru 5/8/11 Let’s have some fun! CHICOPEE 788 Sheridan St. • 413-594-2172 Page 20 APRIL 25-MAY 1, 2011 ENFIELD 146 South Rd. • 860-749-4743 www.tarnowcasualfurniture.com
• Open 7 Days For news & advertising call 413-525-6661 NOW 1099
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22