This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Sacred Vision


Nottinghamshire’s hidden gem Sheonagh Ferguson on the Shrine of Our Lady of Egmanton as an important site of Marian pilgrimage


‘In thanksgiving to almighty God for


the glorious mystery of the Incarnation of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, His ever-virgin Mother, Our Lady, St Mary, the Society is dedicated to the Glory of God under the invocation of Our Lady of Egmanton’ (dedication of the Society of Our Lady of Egmanton).


I


n the county of Notinghamshire, approximately one mile from Tuxford, lies the village of


Egmanton. A small village, with a population of just 200, it was mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1085 and it is here in this quiet, rural seting that the church of St Mary can be found. Tis ancient church dates back to Anglo-Saxon times and houses the Shrine of Our Lady of Egmanton, which has been the centre of a secial devotion to Our Lady from early times.


Medieval origins Whilst not boasting the fame and


prestige of Walsingham, Egmanton is nonetheless an important and significant site of Marian pilgrimage. Our Lady is said to have appeared to a local woman at Ladywood during medieval times, although the exact date of this apparition is unknown. Tis led to a long tradition of pilgrimage to the Shrine and this tradition continued until the time of the Reformation, when the Shrine was destroyed. Pilgrimages to the Shrine became a distant memory, although the church still stood and remained under the dedication of St Mary. In 1895 the Seventh Duke of


Newcastle commissioned the (then litle-known) John Ninian Comper to restore the church and at the same time the present figure of Our Lady, canopied, crowned and holding the child Jesus, was installed. Tere is also a smaller image in front of the organ


pipes above the main entrance to the church. Tere are several fine examples of Comper’s work within the church; the stained-glass windows, the organ case, the hanging pyx above the high altar and in particular the beautiful and sectacular Rood Screen. Te Rood Screen was restored in 2005 by Michelle Pepper and this was partly funded by a grant from the Notinghamshire Historic Churches Trust. Although much more restoration work is needed on various parts of the church, funding for this is in short supply.


An ongoing tradition Modern pilgrimages to Egmanton’s


Shrine were re-started in 1929 by Fr Silas Harris, who was the parish priest at the time, and over the years many key figures of the Anglo-Catholic movement have been on pilgrimage to Egmanton or preached here. In 1930, Fr Alfred Hope Paten, restorer of the Shrine at Walsingham, made a pilgrimage to Egmanton and leſt a banner here which can still be seen in the south doorway of the chancel. Tis is not the Egmanton Shrine’s only link to Walsingham – pilgrims from the north would traditionally use Egmanton as a stopping-off point as they travelled to Walsingham on pilgrimage. Te tradition of pilgrimage to


Egmanton continues to this day. Te Society of Our Lady of Egmanton is governed by a commitee of around fiſteen people and organizes several pilgrimages every year, oſten atracing pilgrims from as far afield as London and Birmingham. Each year’s pilgrimage programme begins with the Summer Pilgrimage in June, followed by the Youth Pilgrimage in July; there is also an Assumptiontide Pilgrimage in August, an October Pilgrimage and an Annual Requiem in November. Te Youth Pilgrimage is one of the highlights of the annual pilgrimage


programme, bringing together young people from all over the country and allowing them to express their faith and grow in the love of God and in fellowship with one another.


Full programme Membership of the Society is open to


all – further details regarding this and general information about the Shrine (including pilgrimage dates for 2011) can be found at <www.sole-egmanton. com>. Please come and support our pilgrimages if you can – a full pilgrimage programme is followed, with the Angelus, Mass and Benediction and during the warmer months we have a procession of Our Lady. Excellent home-made food and hot drinks are served in the village hall aſterwards, all very reasonably priced, so you can be assured you will be well fed! We live in challenging times with


the secularization of our nation and tensions within the Church of England; let us pray that Our Lady of Egmanton may look down on us with love and mercy and give us the strength to guide us through these difficult times. May people continue to come on pilgrimage to this Holy Place and may Our Lady of Egmanton continue to intercede for all pilgrims on behalf of her Divine Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, now and always. ‘Oh Mother, give heed to the prayer


of our heart, that your glory from here never more may depart.’ Our Lady of Egmanton, ora pro nobis. ND


April 2011 ■ newdirections ■ 33


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40