This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
www.SanTanSun.com


Community Crumbling wall at Circle G repaired by Ivanna Garcia


Residents of Circle G Ranch in Gilbert will fi nally get a wall repaired that collapsed into their backyards along Elliot Road between Val Vista Drive and Greenfi eld Road.


After rallying together for the past three years, at a recent Gilbert Town Council meeting the residents heard two words they have eagerly been awaiting: “Motion approved.”


In a 4-3 vote, the Council approved the construction contract for the Circle G VII wall repair. The town will be picking up 75 percent of the tab, which adds up to $83,000. Residents will be responsible for paying the remaining 25 percent. The total cost of the project amounts to $111,820.


Government offi cials said at the meeting Gilbert staff allowed the wrong type of wall to be built in 1985. During inspections, the builder should have been advised to design a retaining wall that would restrain the side pressure of soil. For this reason, Gilbert residents felt that it was not their responsibility to fi x the wall.


David Patterson, a Gilbert resident, fi rst presented the problem to the council in April 2007. “It became an issue for me when I found out that the city had caused the problem in an indirect way,” Patterson says. “When we called the town, they told us that it wasn’t their problem.”


Among the council members who were against the approval was Jenn Daniels, who wonders how long


eBay jobs coming to Chandler Compensation for extra-duty cop jobs changes in January


eBay and its subsidiaries, including PayPal, have a development agreement with the City of Chandler where the Internet seller and merchant services division will add at least 1,000 permanent, full-time positions in 190,000-square-feet of leased offi ce space in a four-story building located on the southwest corner of Price Road and the Santan Loop 202 Freeway. That was one action at the Dec. 9 City Council meeting, along with an amendment to the City Fee Schedule relating to the Police Department and extra- duty pay for offi cers that work for private entities directing traffi c, controlling community events and


providing security at large parties. The new system has the full cost of offi cers working extra-duty jobs being paid by the contractors, not taxpayers, effective Jan. 9, 2011.


Council meetings are aired live, as well as replayed, on Chandler Channel 11 and streamed on the Web at www.chandleraz.gov/video. These are not offi cial meeting minutes of the City Council but rather a brief recap of the Council’s actions provided as a courtesy of the Chandler Communications and Public Affairs Department. The City Clerk’s offi ce posts offi cial meeting


results the morning following Council meetings. For further clarifi cation on actions taken, visit www.chandleraz.gov/agendas. Throughout the agenda, items are posted in red to signify any changes made at the meeting, and who voted no, or abstained. For past City Council meeting minutes visit www.chandleraz.gov, or contact the City Clerk’s offi ce at 480-782-2180. For any other information, contact the Communications and Public Affairs Department at 480-782-2220.


Gilbert will have to guarantee the wall and whether it will set a precedent for other issues in the future. Jason Kerby, project manager for capital improvements projects, says he believes the town was negligent when it approved the design of the wall in 1985 and therefore it is the town’s responsibility. “The life expectancy of the new wall will be 40-plus years,” Kerby says.


The Gilbert Town Council meets every other Tuesday, and the next meeting is scheduled for Jan. 13, 2011 and will be held at the Gilbert Municipal Center. For details, visit www.gilbertaz.gov.


Ivanna Garcia is an ASU Walter Cronkite School of Journalism student, writing for class credit.


Dec. 18 - Jan. 7, 2011


5


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68  |  Page 69  |  Page 70  |  Page 71  |  Page 72  |  Page 73  |  Page 74  |  Page 75  |  Page 76