A remarkable number of Flying Boats can be seen in this aerial photo. as well as a couple of bomb craters on the Barrack Hill.
Barrack Hill (SM 957033 ): Until fairly recently, a central cable loop set in a concrete block situated near the bus stop marked a barrage balloon site. The main block was encircled by eight concrete tethering blocks, but they have all been removed.
A pall of smoke rises from the burning oil tanks at Llanreath.
Llanreath Oil Depot (SM 951030 ): This Admiralty oil tanks complex consisted of 17 storage tanks surrounded by earthwork bunds. In August 1940 three German aircraft made a low-level attack on the fuel depot, causing a fire which burned for three weeks and claimed the lives of five firemen. Six tanks survived and stood until 1985 when they were finally demolished. A single storey pumphouse and the dry moats still remain, while bomb craters to the south are visible as crop marks.
Llanreath Wireless Station (SM 955033): This was built in WWI as a Y-Station to intercept German radio transmissions. It