WWII concrete gun floor with 3.7”/ 4.5” gun ‘holdfast’ set centrally.
Also located on Old Castle Head was a self-contained Coast Defence Chain Home Low radar station used for monitoring shipping in the Bristol Channel in the early 1940s; the transmitter/receiver block and back-up generator building are in fair condition and can be seen from the Coast Path (SS 074967).
On Old Castle Head was a Coast Defence radar sta- tion; this shows the transmitter/receiver block....
... and this shows the building which housed the station’s back-up generator.
RAF Manorbier (SS 079978): First utilised in 1937, this airfield was mainly used by target towing aircraft in conjunction with the adjacent School of Anti-Aircraft Artillery. The first RAF unit to commence operations in early summer 1937 was No 1 Anti-aircraft Co-operation Unit which operated mainly Westland Wallaces, Henleys and the pilotless Queen Bees, a form of Tiger Moth. The Queen Bees were launched by a catapault on the