German PoW camp humour - awaiting release and repatriation
Letterston PoW Hostel - Camp. NB. Circular marks from bell tents
Letterston Royal Observer Corps post was built in 1953.
Te underground chamber, measuring 15’ by 7’6”, was accessed via a vertical shaft and a steel ladder. It is built of reinforced concrete and brick.
Letterston (St Giles) Churchyard (SN 946298): Tree burials from the Second World War can be found in the cemetery: Philip John Jenkins, Tomas Vivian Lawrence and Flight Sergeant Charles Norman Lewis were all members of local families.
Further reading: 20th Century Defences in Britain published by the Council for British Archaeology.
Contacts: Letterston has an active local history society. Contact: Mike Field, 01437 741556.