Stack Rock fort in the 1900s. Te original gun tower can be seen in the courtyard. NB. Semaphore tower and two 12pdr quick firing guns.
A recent aerial view of Stack Rock fort showing theoriginal gun tower at its core.
nine guns - was situated on Stack Rock a rocky islet in the middle of the Haven. Work started on the site in 1850 and was completed in 1852 at a cost of £6,000; however the battery was equipped with just three smooth bore guns together with a shot furnace and had a garrison of 20 men and was soon obsolete.
Stack Rock fort from the north.
Stack Rock Fort (SM 864049): In 1859 substantial modifications were begun which consisted of building a new fort around the original gun tower at a cost of £96,840. Tese modifications, which were completed in 1867, increased the number of guns to 23 and the garrison to 168 men. Te ordnance was seven inch and nine inch rifled muzzle-loaded guns firing studded shells. A limestone jetty was also built at this time.