HERBRANDSTON (SM 870070) HERBRANDSTON is a rural community on the north shore of Milford Haven. Te village which gives the community its name has long-standing links with the sea via Sandy Haven Pill. It is a rare example of a ‘Tankful Village’ - one where all the village sons returned home safe from two world wars. In recent years the landscape has been changed by the arrival of the petro-chemical industry and, more recently, liquefied gas installations.
Stack Rock Gun Tower (SM 864049): In the 1850s, a system of forts and gun towers was planned around Milford Haven to defend the naval dockyard at Pembroke Dock. As well as forts in the immediate vicinity of the dockyard, a network of fortifications was also erected near the mouth of the Haven. One of the estuary batteries - a trefoil-plan gun tower comprising
Plan of Stack Rock Fort with earlier gun tower in the centre.
A cross-section of the original gun tower on Stack Rock from a surveyor’s drawing of about 1852.