Te coastal village of Amroth on the Carmarthenshire border is at one end of the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. Te village is divided into three parts, one at either end of the sand-and-pebble beach and one around the Norman church of St Elidyr in the wooded valley behind. Te Norman fortification called Earwere Castle was probably on the site of the present, privately-owned Amroth Castle, a 19th century mansion. Amroth developed in the 19th century as a result of small-scale coal and iron mining, traces of which are still visible. Te community also includes the village of Llanteg which has a highly active local history society.
An early postcard view of Amroth village and beach.
Operation Jantzen: Te community’s major contribution to the war effort was the hosting of Operation Jantzen in the summer of 1943. Tis exercise was a rehearsal for the Allied invasion of Normandy, the Amroth - Wiseman’s Bridge area being chosen for its