This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Thomas Stephen Neel, editor of the “Spurgeon Quarterly” analyzed a 1755 “Fry &


Jefferson Map” of the area which still shows a “Spurgeant” settlement in Antietam Bottom, but reasons that the cartographer probably borrowed heavily from the earlier Winslow map (supra) of the area instead of surveying all the area himself.97


Therefore, while they may have still lived


here in 1755, it does not mean they actually did, if in fact, Fry copied earlier maps made in the 1740’s when both brothers did reside in this location at Antietam Bottom.


On 11 December 1755, a William Spurgeon appears on a poll for a Frederick County list of voters.98 On 16 November 1757, James and his son John (which John had been deeded 29


October 1753) jointly sold 50 acres of land called “Stony Hill (Stonyhill, also spelled Stonyhall)” and 46 acres of property called, “Father’s Good Will” to one Ulrick Erb.99


deal was described, “Ulrich Erb recorded 16 Nov 1757, made same date between John Sporgens and James Sporgens, of Frederick County, farmers, for 51 pounds current money, sells tract called ‘Stony Hall.’ for 50 acres: likewise a tract called ‘Father’s Good Will.’ Signed John Spurgen. James Spurgen by his mark. Mary wife of John Spurgens released dower.”100 August 1757, James Spurgin is recorded taking up a stray mare.101


Specifically, this land On 18 James was granted another


300 acres of land in Frederick County, Maryland, by warrant dated 19 July 1763 and patent date 29 September 1764. “Spurgeon’s Choice,” as the tract was called, is now located on Town Creek in Southampton Township (near present day Chaneysville), Bedford County, Pennsylvania, close to the Maryland border (having once been a part of Frederick County, Maryland).102


One of these maps discloses information regarding a tract of The state


line between Maryland and Pennsylvania was not formally surveyed until 1767 (the Mason- Dixon Line) and so this tract was registered in Maryland but became a part of Bedford County, Pennsylvania. There are some interesting maps which have recently come to light which shed light on the location of this land.103


land, “situate on a Branch of town creek, about 5 miles from Spurgeons Bedford County, surveyed 21st March 1767 on Location No. 2905 in the name of Joshua Archer.” Another survey mentions a tract of land belonging to Hugh Iiams and says, “Situated on the waters of Town Creek at the foot of the Warrior Ridge in Colrain Township Bedford County Containing 132 acres with the usual allowance of Six per Cent for Roads &c. Surveyed for Hugh Iiams the 12th day of April 1794. On warrant Dated the 15th Day of March 1793. George Woods, Junr., D.S.” This survey shows the land of Ezekiel Spurgeon immediately south of Hugh Iiam’s land and also the land of William Iiams to the east that formally belonged to William Spurgeon. Both these


97“Spurgeon’s Quarterly,” Special Edition, January 1988, p. 1. 98Murtie June Clark, “Colonial Soldiers of the South [1732-1774],” (Baltimore, Maryland, 1983), Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., p. 328 99Ibid., pp. 342-44; Frederick County, Maryland Deed Book F, pp. 342-344; Hall of Records, State of Maryland, #782139, pp. 261-62. 100Patricia A. Anderson, “Frederick County Maryland Land Records, Liber F Abstracts, 1756-1761,” (Gaithersburg, MD, 1995), GenLaw Resources, p. 35. 101Ibid., p. 30. 102“State of Maryland, Dept. of General Services, Hall of Records Commission,” Annapolis, Maryland, Land Office (Patents) Liber BC & GS #33, pp. 235-237, item 782011. 103“Spurgeon Quarterly,” Issue I, November 1984, p. 25, relates how James Boor, a genealogist in Bedford Co., Pennsylvania was given a large collection of old survey maps from a descendant of a local surveyor, John Fluke. Evidently, each surveyor passed the documents on to his successor, and they, in turn, passed them on again after using them as a basis for their own maps. Most of John Fluke’s survey maps were done in Snake Spring Valley Twp. and Woodbury Twp., but the examples mentioned here referred to Colerain Twp.


© 1993 Spurgeon Family History by Dr. Gary Alan Dickey, 1546 Devonshire Avenue, Westlake Village, CA 91361 • p. 30


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68  |  Page 69  |  Page 70  |  Page 71  |  Page 72  |  Page 73  |  Page 74  |  Page 75
Produced with Yudu - www.yudu.com