This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
The following picture I took shows the site of the Spurgeon homes on each side of the Potomac River on the Sharpsburg-Shepherdstown road:


purchased 200 acres on the west side of the Shenandoah River from John Welton on 21/22 June 1737 in Frederick County (then Orange County).54


James settled on the Maryland side of the river and William on the Virginia side. William In the deed abstracts of Orange County,


William Spurgion and Salomon Hedges, Richard Morgan, or any two, were required to view and value 225 acres, fencing, and five houses patented to Just. [sic Jost] Hite per application of Rev. Wm. Williams, 22 June 1738.55


Jane, sold the 200 acres in Orange County, Virginia, and 6 July 1758 sold the 50 acres in Frederick County, Maryland to a Thomas Swearingen.56


On 1 May 1758, Mary Spurgin, her son William and his wife He is likely of the same Sweringen


family who is recorded in records in Prince George’s County as early as 1702.57 Information dealing with Shepherdstown shows us that on 12 June 1751, Thomas


Shepherd (for whom the town was named) secured a grant from Lord Fairfax for 457 acres of land. Other abutting owners enumerated within this deed are named in the description of his property: “To a hickory near a sunk hole corner to Jacob VanMetre and Joseph Chaplin, thence with Robert Jones’ line, formerly J. VanMeter’s line; thence to a corner of the Widow Spurgin; thence to the line of his patented land.”58


This shows us that it was probably William who settled


on the Virginia side. William would have most likely died prior to 4 April 1750 as on this date a warrant and survey for the above Thomas Shepherd listed “ye Whidow Spurgin” as the owner of


54“Spurgeon Quarterly,” Issue 20, December 1989, p. 490 [Orange County, Virginia Deed Book II, 420-7]. 55“Spurgeon Quarterly,” Issue 20, December 1989, p. 490 [Orange County, Virginia Deed Book II, 33-4]. 56“Spurgeon Quarterly,” Issue 20, December 1989, p. 490 [Frederick County, Maryland Deed Book F, 504]. 57Elise G. Jourdan, “The Land Records of Prince George’s County, Maryland 1702 to 1709,” (Westminster, Maryland, 1990), Family Line Publications, p. 21. 58“Northern Neck Grants,” Vol. G - 1747 to 1751, p. 545 of the Virginia Land Office, as referred to in Clifford S. Musser, “Two Hundred Years’ History of Shepherdstown,” (Shepherdstown, W.V., 1931), The Independent [reprint: Specialty Binding & Printing Co., Shepherdstown, 1982], pp. 12-13.


© 1993 Spurgeon Family History by Dr. Gary Alan Dickey, 1546 Devonshire Avenue, Westlake Village, CA 91361 • p. 22


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68  |  Page 69  |  Page 70  |  Page 71  |  Page 72  |  Page 73  |  Page 74  |  Page 75
Produced with Yudu - www.yudu.com