Las Vegas Edition for Asian Americans
Ina pregnant with fourth child
See STORY, page 28 VOL. I, NO. 22 MIDWEEK, WED. - FRI., JULY 28 - 30, 2010 Pacquiao now eyes Margarito fi ght FORMER GOVERNOR KENNY C. GUINN
Nevada mourns former Gov. Kenny C. Guinn
LAS VEGAS – The whole state of Nevada was still in shock six days after the news of the sudden demise of former Governor Kenny C. Guinn (R-NV), filled newspaper front pages, and columns, and news went around the internet. It had been a week of sadness for Nevadans as they mourn the passing the much revered and popular former governor, who was head of state from 1998 till 2006. Gov. Guinn died last Thursday morning, July 22, following a fall from the roof of their home. He was 73. He was survived by Dema Guinn, his beloved wife of 54 years, and sons Jeff and Steve. Even the weather which exhibited a triple digit temperature of 107 to 110 in the past few days seemed to cooperate See GUINN, page 16
Marlon Multo: Walang Kupas
LAS VEGAS – Twenty years are a long
time. And a lot could happen to someone along the way. In Marlon Multo’s case, he and his music have remained the same. If there’s any change at all, it was all for the best. His confidence in his musical ability has not diminished, rather he has improved a lot. In his recent Friends for Life concert, an apt title for one who has remained in the music scene and whose following has remained constant and loyal, Marlon had the whole night in his fingers. His audience was receptive – and appreciative. They made sure Marlon felt the warm welcome and sincere applause at the end of every number he rendered. Marlon is back in Friends for Life, a carefully planned come back concert after a long hiatus from the musical scene in Las Vegas.
He opened the show with the lilting beat of Latin medley in Ray Allen’s I Go to Rio, followed by Bamboleo, and the sixty’s popular ditty Volare by Dean Martin. Then came a duet with upcoming singer, Vanessa, a newcomer in Las Vegas music scene, in Sergio Mendez’s Never Gonna Let You Go.
Marlon went on to delight his audience with his rendition of a Pilipino ditty in Hanggang, a poignant love song written by Wency Cornejo.
Switching back to English songs, Mar- lon belted out a Lionel Ritchie favorite in Angel which he performed with gusto in
See MARLON, page 16
NEW YORK, July 24, 2010 (AFP) – The Manny Pacquiao/Floyd Mayweather mega fight talks took another twist Friday with Paquiao’s camp saying negotiations had stalled again and so they were looking to Mexico’s Antonio Margarito. Pacquiao was going to fight Mayweath- er in 2010, but the latest deal to fight in November appears to have fallen through. Promoter Bob Arum told SI.com
Friday that Filipino superstar Pacquiao will face Margarito for the vacant WBC junior mid- dleweight championship on November 13. The fight would probably have to take place in Mexico because Margarito doesn’t have a license to box in Las Vegas. Arum mentioned Monterrey, Mexico as a pos- sible location but says he isn’t ruling out Las Vegas either.
“Making a deal won’t be a problem,”
said Arum, who promotes both Pacquiao and Margarito. “We’ll get it done.” Arum says he has asked Nevada offi- cials for a conditional license to allow the suspended Margarito to fight in Las Vegas. Former welterweight champion Mar- garito was suspended by California of-
COTABATO CITY, July 27 (PNA)
– The Philippine Council for Islam and Democracy (PCID) expressed support to President Benigno Simeon “Noynoy” Aquino III’s desire to end the conflict in southern Philippines.
Also lauding the President’s straight- forward manner in exposing anomalies, Amina Rasul, PCID executive director, said the President’s SONA has sent a strong message to the Filipino people that
REPORTS said Floyd Mayweather Jr. may be trying to avoid Manny Pacquiao, who is now seeking a fi ght with Antonio Margarito.
ficials after a plaster-like substance was discovered in his handwraps before a bout in January of last year, one he eventually lost to Shane Mosley.
Arum said he is growing tired of May- weather’s act.
“This kid (Mayweather) is so nuts,” Arum told SI.com
. “His idea of being part of his team is having guys who when he
“this administration does not tolerate cor- ruption.”
“Along with our Muslim brethren, we awaited President Aquino’s exposition of his plan for peace in Mindanao,” Rasul said.
“We strongly agree with, and support, the position of the President that the end to the conflict can only be achieved through peaceful political negotiation that is in- clusive,” she said in a statement issued
says ‘jump,’ they say ‘how high?’ Why didn’t they just say we decided not to fight until next year?”
Pacquiao, the reigning World Boxing
Organization welterweight champion, rekindled hopes of a megafight showdown with unbeaten U.S. star Mayweather in May by agreeing to blood test terms that scuttled a showdown. ■
Aquino’s SONA continues to reap praises
Tuesday. “We at the PCID have always main- tained that military strategy will not bring peace but only misery and poverty to our people,” she also said.
“Peace is the only way to peace,” stressed Rasul who heads the leading Mus- lim NGO that promotes peace in Mindanao and good governance among Moro leaders. “We greatly appreciate the pronounce- See SONA, page 16
Obama: leaks reveal no
new issues in Afghanistan
WASHINGTON, July 27, 2010 (AFP) – President Barack Obama vowed Tuesday to see his Afghan plan through to conclusion, and said a trove of leaked documents on the war proved he was right to overhaul a failed U.S. strategy.
PRESIDENT Benigno Simeon C. Aquino III (at the rostrum) delivers his fi rst State of the Nation Address (SONA) at the start of the 15th Congress Joint Session which is applauded by Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile (left top photo) and House Speaker Feliciano R. Belmonte, Jr. (right in top photo). In lower photo, congressmen and senators give the President’s SONA a standing ovation.
(PNA PHOTOS BY BOY ANTONIO)
Obama said the documents, which included snapshots of chaos, suggestions of Afghan corruption, revealed civilian casualties and accused Pakistani agents of cooperating with the Taliban, did not contain much new information. “While I am concerned about the dis- closure of sensitive information from the battlefield that could potentially jeopardize individuals or operations, the fact is these documents don’t reveal any issues that haven’t already informed our public debate on Afghanistan,” Obama said. “Indeed they point to the same chal- lenges that led me to conduct an extensive review of our policy last fall,” added Obama, in his first public reaction to the release of the documents on Sunday. “For seven years, we failed to imple- ment a strategy adequate to the challenge in this region,” Obama said, noting the area was the origin of the September 11 attacks in 2001 and other planned extrem- ist actions. “That’s why we have substantially See OBAMA, page 16
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26