This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
The Readington News • September 2009 • Page 11
Looking Back. . . Houses, Mills,
Churches Provide Glimpse of History
By Stephanie B. Stevens Readington Village Readington/Raritan South
Historian, County of Hunterdon Historic District Branch Historic District
Settled in the first decade of the The site of Readington’s oldest
Did you know that there are five 18th century by Dutch farmers, this house (Ryerson 1733) along with
National Register Districts and two ancient District is strung out along the Governor John Reading 1760
separate structures in Readington Holland Brook. The main road (Co. Georgian mansion, this District cov-
listed on the National Register of Rd. 620) was also known as “the old ers both sides of the South Branch
Historic Places? Road to New Brunswick” Reading- Raritan River. Scattered along the
Starting at the most northerly ton Dutch Reformed Church (Re- banks of the river — out of site from
section of Readington is the Potter- formed Church in America) was the public - are 18th century home-
stown Rural Historic District. Pot- the first Dutch Reformed Church in steads of great architectural value.
terstown Road is the continuation of Hunterdon County. Early records of Rivers were the highways of colo-
the West Jersey Society’s boundry the church are written in the Dutch nial America, thus we find our earli-
Grey Skies Brightened by Balloons—Hot air balloons took
line. The Society’s line extended language. From 1720 to 1747 the est settlements located within short
to the Readington skies during the 27th Annual QuickChek New Jersey Festival
all the way from the Delaware first minister to answer the call from distance of bodies of water. The
of Ballooning at Solberg Airport July 24, 25 and 26. Despite the stormy weather,
River to the falls of the Lamington the wilderness of America was the Readington side finds a large flood
five mass balloon ascensions were held through the weekend. Performers at the
River near Pottersville (Tewksbury famous Rev. Theodorus Jacobus plain backed by a knoll. It is on this
festival included Al Jardine, One Call, Meaghan Martin, Kool & The Gang, and
Twp.) and was the easterly boundry Frelunghuysen, progenitor of all knoll that we find 18 century farm-
Michael McDonald. Fest goers also enjoyed rides, games, arts & crafts, and food.
of the West New Jersey Society’s of the Frelinghuysens in New Jer- steads rising above the flood plain
Great Tract consisting of about sey. Sermons were preached in the and stretching from Rockafellow
92,000 acres. Potterstown also mother tongue for dozens of years. Mill Rd. to the bridge at Dart’s Mill.
The Sign you want.
was the major crossroads of the Today’s church is the third building Raritan Township is home to the
4HE�!GENT�YOU�NEED�
society’s line and the Raritan Path, to oversee this little village; the first Governor John Reading farmstead
an Indian path that commenced one was outgrown, second burned, as well as at least four 18th century
in New Brunswick and ended at current church has stood since 1864. homes. Because of the water power
the Delaware River near Easton, Several 18th century houses are of the South Branch, mills occupied REMAXCOM

Each RE/MAX Office is independently owned and operated. 081058
PA. Eventually the Raritan Path, included in the District which also both banks of the river making for
known in the late 18th century as includes two schools, now private an early industrial complex that sup- Ann Marie “Cookie” Lukas NJ
AR
®
Circle of Excelle
nce
“the County Rd,” became, in 1806, residences, a tavern also in private plied grains for man and beast. This
Sa
les
Award
®
2008 B
ron
ze
908-507-0619 cells

office
the New Jersey Turnpike! Yes, hands, store (post office) and the site district entered into the National 2TE7 3UITE "RANCHBURG.*
REALTOR/SALES ASSOCIATE
®
the very first N.J.T.P. Potterstown of the 1715 mill. June 24, 1991 was Register January 26, 1990.
#OOKIE #OOKIE,UKAS(OMESCOM
became, in 1729-30, the home of the date of acceptance on the Na- WWW#OOKIE,UKAS(OMESCOM
the first German Lutheran Church tional Register. Dart’s Mill Historic District
in New Jersey. Land donated for A thriving mill seat on the banks of
JUST LISTED JUST LISTED
the church was a gift of Aray Van Stanton Historic District the South Branch Raritan River, to-
Guinee, a free black man and one of Three 18th century stone houses day it is marked by a small blue sign.
the founders of the church. Revo- stand out in this District, which orig- As early as 1730 there were mills
lutionary War General John Taylor inally was known as “Housel’s” for on this site. At one time this little
owned a 1760 mill at Potterstown, early settler William Housel. (His industrial hamlet included a black-
LOWEST PRICED HOME IN WHITEHOUSE VILLAGE, END UNIT,
END UNIT, PRIME LOCATION, PRICED TO SELL! Last home on
in it grain for Washington’s Army was the stone house opposite the smith, store, merchant center, as GORGEOUS! Updated 2BD, 2FullBth, Eat-in Kit, Lrg LR, Frml
street, updated Bath, HrdwdFlrs & more. Mthly Fee includes
was ground. Taylor was com- Stanton Reformed Church.) Housel well as a complex of mills. Burned
DR , Bsmt, Garage, Great Location $279,900
everything except electric & water. $159,900
PRICE REDUCED UNDER CONTRACT
mander of the 4th Hunterdon Mi- and his wife died childless leaving by vandals, the last huge mill struc-
litia and fought in the Continental their property to Wiffiam Wagoner. ture disappeared in 1994. All that re-
Army. Ruins of the old mill stand Thereafter the area became known mains are foundation walls and the
on the corner of Taylor’s Mill and as “Wagoner’s Hill.” Since most of mill race and falls. Dart’s Mill was
Rockaway roads. Unfortunately the residents were Dutch, they trav- entered into the National Register
the Miller’s house that stood from eled to Readington for “Meeting” April 29, 1982.
1760 was either demolished or fell - a considerable distance over poor Both the White House Station (Li-
PRESTINE UPDATED 3BD RANCH-MOVE IN CONDITION! PICTURE PERFECT & Impeccably Kept 3 BD home has a LR/fp,
Amazingly larger then it looks including Finished Walkout Bsmt arched doorways, interior painted 6/09, new Kit flr, hardwood
down within the last year — age mud roads. By 1833 a new church brary) and the Higginsville Bridge
complete with office, bath & Kit. $274,900 flrs, 3 Season Rm, Fin Bsmt, Garage, Furn/WtrHtr-3yrs, Roof
10yrs, Close NY Trans. $275,900
248 years. Potterstown history pre- arose in the village thereby making are listed on the National Register.
dates the United States of America. attendance at church much easier
It was entered into the National for the surrounding farmers. By that
Register on July 2, 1992. time Mt. Pleasant had become the
In 1997, at the behest of the name of this growing village and
Tewksbury Historic Preservation the church was incorporated as
NESHANIC VALLEY GOLF COURSE
Commission and with the permis- “The Reformed Dutch Church of Mt.
sion of The Readington Town- Pleasant.” 1849 was the big year that IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE OUR NEW
ship Historian, the Taylor’s Mill saw the permanent name change. A
DINING EXPERIENCE…
property, including the Miller’s post office was to be established in
house, truss bridge, and land on the the village; however, there already
Tewksbury side of the creek, were existed a Mt. Pleasant in Hunterdon
made into a separate District to be County — two would cause endless
known as “The Taylor’s Mill His- confusion! Stanton became the cho-
toric District.” March 1997 was the sen name of this sleepy village, and
date of acceptance into the National it got its own post office. National
Register for this revision. Register acceptance date was Au-
gust 10, 1990.
12oz N.Y. Strip Steak 23.
Montreal seasoned & topped w/roasted garlic shallot butter Garnished
with frizzled onion straws
Boursin Cheese potato croquette Local Seasonal Vegetables
8 Oz. Center Cut Filet Mignon 25.
Presented on toasted garlic round then Blanketed with a traditional Bearnaise sauce
IN SOMERSET COUNTY Boursin Cheese potato croquette Local Seasonal Vegetables
2008 & 2009
New Zealand Rack of Yearling Lamb 24.
crusted & served with a Dijon Madeira wine demiglaze
Rosemary/Spinach Pesto
Boursin Cheese potato croquette Local Seasonal Vegetables
Chicken Saltimbocca 16.
Tender filets topped with prosciutto di parma, leaf spinach, cow’s milk mozzarella.
mushroom and sage pan gravy Boursin Cheese
potato croquette Local Seasonal Vegetables
Jumbo Lump Crab Meat Stuffed Filet of Tilapia 18.
Prepared with Old Bay and a hint of lemon
Boursin Cheese potato croquette Local Seasonal Vegetables
FULL BAR • OUTDOOR DINING AVAILABLE • KIDS MENU AVAILABLE
OPEN FOR LUNCH AND DINNER
BRIDGEWATER FRANKLIN
1316 Route 22 East 1503 Route 27 South
2301 South Branch RD
(908) 231-9800 (732) 828-6116 908-681-9000
Located at Morgan Lane Between Cozzens and Bennetts
Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12
Produced with Yudu - www.yudu.com