This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.


The British Safety Council has launched its new website:, aimed at strengthening the global health and safety charity’s online interaction with its members and wider health, safety and environmental management community. The site

features an online store for the purchase of membership subscriptions, and a wide range of health, safety and environmental training, qualifications and consultancy services, and also brings alive the charitable contribution that the British Safety Council’s

services make with a wealth of information on the scope and the support they provide to schools and individuals.

Website: Twitter: @britsafe Blog:


HR directors are being offered a helping hand by Total Accident Management’s service, to enable them to manage the hundreds of thousands of grey fleet drivers that are using their own vehicle on company business without insurance, a valid driving licence and in a car that is unfit for purpose.

Under the current Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, employers need to ensure the health, safety and welfare at work of their

employees, including whilst driving on company business. This means ensuring all elements of the employee’s car, including insurance, driving license, MOT and servicing are checked before it is used on company business.

Total Accident Management’s new grey fleet product, Total DriveSecure, aims to ensure fleets keep track of service records, MOTs and drivers’ licenses for private vehicles, not to mention the

challenges in ensuring employees have the appropriate Business Use insurance, plus keeping track of work journeys undertaken. Total will also manage all aspects of grey fleet driver’s accidents, keep them mobile in a hire car and ensure their vehicle is repaired quickly, cost effectively and to the highest of standards.


A Walsall landlord has been sentenced for failing to provide a gas safety certificate.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Khalid Hussain following a complaint from a tenant and her partner, who rent a house at Raleigh Street, Walsall from him.

Walsall Magistrates’ Court heard that the boiler was only replaced in October this year despite having broken down in January 2011. Mr Hussain also did not have a landlord’s gas safety certificate for the appliances in the property until last month, despite being issued with an Improvement Notice from HSE in March requiring him to provide the certificate by 6th May 2011.


Birmingham NEC, from 15th-17th May 2012

Organiser of Safety & Health Expo 2012, UBM, has announced the inclusion of a Working at Height Knowledge Base; a series of informative seminars to encourage best practice when working at height provided and delivered by the Access Industry Forum (AIF) with contributions from some of the UK’s leading safety organisations.

Working at height continues to be a hot topic for all

sectors of industry. Deaths and injuries resulting from falls from height remain a major concern. Therefore the AIF will again be providing information and advice to encourage continuous learning, debate and discussion on the latest developments in safety and best practice.

UBM’s Safety and Building Management Portfolio Director, Adrian Newton, said: “We’re delighted to welcome back the Working at Height Knowledge Base for the third time after two

extremely successful years since its launch in 2010. This is an area of the safety industry which cannot be underestimated in its importance and one which we know our visitors are keen to keep abreast of.”

The Working at Height Knowledge Base promises to deliver a range of valuable educational content for the visitors and exhibitors at Safety & Health Expo 2012. The full seminar programme will be available soon at

The court also heard that when the new boiler was installed last month, a gas engineer condemned the cooker in the property as dangerous and isolated it.

Mr Hussain, of Pargeter Street, Walsall, pleaded guilty yesterday to breaching Section 33(1)(g) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Regulation 36(3)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £3,000 costs.

More information about the dangers of carbon monoxide is available from estic/co.htm


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58